What is Heroes & Other Worlds?

Heroes & Other Worlds is a game of adventure inspired by Metagaming's classic Melee/Wizard/TFT system combined with inspiration from the Moldvay edited basic game. The rules are easy to learn and use standard six sided dice. The system is simple, sensible and flexible in the spirit of classic role playing games from the early 80's. Become a Hero, Other Worlds await!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Parry

Rule I am experimenting with for the revised edition:

Your weapons skill bonus applies to any defensive parry attempts IF the weapon you are parrying is the same type (Sword v Sword/ Axe v Axe/ Spear v Spear etc.) does not work for thrown, or ranged weapon skills.



3 comments:

  1. I would tread carefully here; the history of rpg combat systems tells us that relatively narrow, specific mechanics tend to get ignored (at best!) or drive people to other systems. Think of the weapon vs. armor tables or weapon speed rules in 1E AD&D. Very few people ever really used those in play, and they are generally thought of as one of history's mistakes. HOW is built on the base of a really excellent, time-tested combat system (Melee). The reaction defense mechanics you've added improve on that. But if they get too complicated, with special exceptions and modifiers, it may start to feel a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lars, I totally agree this is a game first--not a simulation and rest assured, while I know some people love an extra crunchy combat loaded with charts and modifiers, my days of super chunk are far behind me.

    All I am seeking to do is see if there is a simple and sensible way, w/o going astray or into modifier/exception hell, to execute a parry bonus.

    Easiest is WPN skill=Parry bonus--but does it make sense?
    Dagger parries Longsword, battle axe or spear? Feels odd to me.

    Giving the bonus when it is Same wpn v same wpn makes sense (to me) and is easy to adjudicate and remember...but I am of course open to contrary reasoned opinions!

    Thanks Lars for keeping me on the straight and narrow!




    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you do it now: some weapon skills provide bonus to parry (e.g., fencing) whereas others don't (e.g., axe/club/mace). This makes sense to me and feels like enough 'granularity'

    ReplyDelete